Catching the Spirit is a unique leadership, social responsibility and environmental stewardship program for youth aged 12 to 18. Using environmental awareness and stewardship, outdoor recreation and youth ownership, the program is dedicated to broadening awareness, fostering youth leadership and encouraging social and personal development leaving youth connected to the environment and each other.
It’s all about youth. It really is. And it has been for ten years now. Ode to this year’s Catching the Spirit (CtS) Youth Environmental Leadership program, where more than ever its ‘For Youth by Youth’ mantra rang crisp and clear in the ears of our youth Leadership Team. Encouraging youth ideas and delivery and the discovery of youth driven leadership, like our youth, CtS too has matured over the years. And its tenth year proved nothing short of tremendous.
• 302 youth from 16 different municipalities and 144 schools participated;
• program participants contributed an extraordinary 13,094 volunteer hours;
• the youth were led by a talented team of 42 peer leaders and 10 supervisors;
• the program was supported by 2 assistant program coordinators and 2 youth interns;
• 65% of the participants were girls; and
• the four camps were on average 96% full.