Giant Hogweed has been popping up all around Metro Vancouver. This invasive plant contains flowers and looks harmless but is the complete opposite.They are very toxic to humans, any skin contact will result in burning pain and eventually even third degree burns.Hogweed gives off a watery sap that can cause blisters, burns, scarring and sometimes temporary blindness when deposited into a person’s eye. If you do happen to come in contact with Hogweed sap, get out of the sun and immediately wash the area with soap and water.
Fortunately local hogweed discoveries have been detected and are in the process of being extracted by the Invasive Species Council of Metro Vancouver.We want to have a summer filled with outdoor activities and time spent at our regional parks. So be aware of these invasive plants and report any possible sightings. We need to catch these toxic plants before they spread like wildfire!
For additional information, check out this article.