Next Monday February 11, 2013 marks the first ever BC Family Day (stat holiday).
While Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario all have a Family Day stat holiday on the third Monday of February, BC has selected the second Monday of February to celebrate Family Day.
I highly recommend heading into the regional parks this long weekend. Rain or shine they are always open to the public and there is plenty of fun to be had immersing yourself in nature with your family!
In anticipation of this new holiday, family activities have been planned across Metro Vancouver:
Vancouver Giants Family Day Game
The Vancouver Giants take on the Portland Winterhawks at 2:00pm at the Pacific Coliseum. TELUS is sponsoring Family Day festivities that include autograph sessions, live music, interactive games, colouring, popcorn, hot chocolate, and more — all included with your game ticket.
Vancouver Aquarium for Family Day
The Vancouver Aquarium will be open extended hours all weekend and on Monday the 11th for Family Day including the new exhibit “The Secret World of Sharks and Rays” that opens February 7th.
BC Sports Hall of Fame
Enjoy half price family admission to the BC Sports Hall of Fame (Gate A at BC Place) on Family Day. Special activities will include colouring, scavenger hunts, random free membership draws, and all that the hall has to offer like the 2010 gallery and the participation zone with a climb wall, track, kick ball, and more.
Vancouver Art Gallery and Robson Square
Join Juno Award winners Said the Whale at Robson Square and enjoy other musical performances, face painting, a hockey shoot out, educational activities from Britannia Mine Museum, the Royal BC Museum, Science World and more. Ice skating is always free but there will be free skate rentals on Family Day too. Activities and events inside the gallery and out in the square will take place 11:00am to 7:00pm.
Vancouver Lookout Family Weekend
The Vancouver Lookout is hosting a Family Day weekend of events that include scavenger hunts and orienteering. Hours will be 9:00am to 9:00pm from Saturday to Monday that weekend.
Local Mountains for Family Day
Many BC ski resorts are offering up Family Day promotions. Locally, Mount Seymour is hosting a Family Day contest, Grouse Mountain is having a pancake breakfast, sleigh rides, scavenger hunts, snow painting, and offering 50% off lift tickets (for BC residents) and general admission. Whistler Blackcomb, Mount Washington, and Sun Peaks are also offering 50$ off lift tickets (for BC residents).
The City of New Westminster in partnership with the Fraser River Discovery Centre, School District #40 and RiverMarket, are offering the following Family Day activities and entertainment from 11:00am to 3:00pm at the Fraser River Discovery Centre: Mike’s Critters (see live animals such as parrots, frogs, lizards, snakes, turtles & more), ExploreGreen (an environmental educational arts & crafts program), Youth Lounge (featuring video games, table top games and more for ages 11 and up), New Westminster Museum & Archives programs & artifacts, guided tours on Samson V, outdoor sports for all ages on boardwalk (weather permitting), a variety of youth musicians, fitness participatory demonstrations, magic shows, CoCo the Clown, children’s meal specials at RiverMarket food vendors. The first 50 families to arrive will receive gift certificates for local services and products. Free parking will be available on the Front Street Parkade.
The 5th annual Children’s Arts Festival in Richmond will be happening on Family Day at the Richmond Cultural Centre from 10:00am to 4:00pm following an opening ceremony at 9:45am. There will be Creativity Classes led by accomplished artists in the realm of dance, musical theatre, puppet making, cartooning, animation, circus, and more. Eric Litwin, New York Times #1 bestselling author of Pete the Cat picture books, will share musical stories for kids of all ages. Pre-registration is required to meet Eric Litwin ($10 per ticket) and to attend Creativity Classes ($10 per class). Book online or call 604-276-4300. Registration includes a wristband that provides access to performances and many fun, hands-on Imagination Stations to explore origami, balloon twisting, and more. In addition, wristbands give free admission for families to skate at Minoru Arenas and swim at Minoru Aquatics Centre. Wristbands can be bought separately on site for only $5.
Port Moody will be hosting a Family Day Skate Event from 1:00-3:30pm including face painting, clowns, magic and fun – all for an admission cost of $3.75 (includes free skate rental)!
- – Toonie Skate at Port Coquitlam Recreation Complex, 2150 Wilson Avenue. Attend our toonie skate and enjoy time with your family during BC’s first Family Day! 1:30-3pm (Regular Admission Applies)
- – Ring, Stick and Puck. Drop in with friend and teammates to shoot the puck or ring around. CSA approved helmet with full face cage and hockey gloves are mandatory. Skate and helmet rentals are available. 4-12 year olds, 1.15-2.45pm for $4/person and 13-18 year olds, 3.15-4.45pm for $4/person
- – Special Swim at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre, 1379 Laurier Avenue from1-5pm (Regular Admission Applies)
To celebrate British Columbia’s first-ever Family Day holiday, Coquitlam Parks, Recreation and Culture is offering several events and activities for the whole family:
- – Family Fit and Frolic Run on Monday, Feb. 11 is a 5 km walk or fun run for participants of all ages. Registration begins at 9:15 a.m. rain or shine; the walk begins at 10 a.m. at Spirit Square, 3003 Burlington Dr. (across from city hall) and ends at Glen Pine Pavilion, 1200 Glen Pine Crt. with light refreshments and fun activities. Registration is required. Admission is $5 for participants older than six years of age and family dogs, on leash, are welcome to the walk/run activity only.
- – If you are a fan of winter activities, try the Family Day Skate at Poirier Sport and Leisure Complex from 10 to 11:15 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. Admission and rentals are free.
- – You can also head over to the pool at Poirier Sport and Leisure Complex to take advantage of the Family Day Swim. Attend with your family to receive the special family rate admission.
Be sure to check your local paper for updated Family Day events.
Happy Family Day 2013!
Comment below and let me know what your plans are!