August 17 – September 2, 2013
Who would have thought that a summer fair that is easily over 100 years old would consider changing its ways to consider the environment? Well they have, the PNE has implemented several environmental initiatives this year requiring their exhibitors and concessionaries to be as environmentally friendly as possible.
They are required to:
- – Participate in the PNE Recycling program
- – Remove or significantly reduce packaging of shipping materials
- – Use compostable products
- – Use environmentally friendly cleaning supplies
- – Use energy efficient lighting
- – Introduce measures that reduced water consumption
- – Purchase and use local sustainable food in their operation
- – Eco Alley; an informative and interactive area to educate PNE guests how to be more environmentally friendly.
- – Food scraps composting; Recycling Alternative will run a demonstration project testing the feasibility of composting food scraps from vendors at the PNE.
- – A bike valet service; provides more reason for guests to bike to the PNE
- – Cowpower; all electricity will be generated from cow manure to make electricity and high nutrient natural soil amendment
So enjoy the Fair at the PNE this summer and check out their environmental sustainability initiatives. Get informed and do your part to making the PNE greener and ultimately our communities.